Bulbs constantly blowing!

Arcing at the switch can be enough to damage the types of low cost electronic drivers in most CFLs or LED retrofits. You get broadband noise into the driver resulting in the input circuitry overheating.
Yes, I'm aware of that - but, just as I said about poor contacts at lampholders (in the post of mine you quoted), it would seem very improbable that this problem would be arising in almost every switch in the OP's house, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It could be happening at the MCB(s).

Is it possible to get arcing which goes undetected, i.e. no alarming noise, no smell of ozone, no melting/welding of things?

I can't think that such a fault could develop and persist for the length of time hinted at. I'd have thought that before long the arcing would get worse - and either something would start getting rather hot, or it would just fail altogether.

I can't think that such a fault could develop and persist for the length of time hinted at. I'd have thought that before long the arcing would get worse - and either something would start getting rather hot, or it would just fail altogether.
Indeed. As has been said, to affect lights all over the house it would really have to be somewhere 'central', like the MCB - and, as you say, persistent arcing in such a place would surely show itself in some way before too long.

It's the usual problem of trying to fault-find by remote control. Were one there, given that it's so quick/easy, one could at least first rule out supply voltage issues and then, if necessary, move on through the less likely and eventually to the esoteric/fanciful possibilities.

... and I think we have to consider the possibility of simple 'extreme bad luck'. CFLs (if that's what we're dealing with), both cheap and expensive, do sometimes fail early and, at least in my experience, rarely last anything like as long as 'what it says on the tin' claims!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay in posting, it was my birthday! In response to some of the questions, i think i've only seen 1 house with solar panels in the local area and i don't have them. The chandelier is actually older than the light fittings in the house as i brought it with me from my previous home. The switches/fittings were all put in just before i moved in 4years ago. I'll get someone out to check the voltage and see if they can work out the cause. Thank you all for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back