Bulbs keep blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I purchased 2 sets of spotlights for my lounge about a year ago. Each fitting has 3 bulbs (screw in type). As I remember they only had 3 wires on each fitting so what could be simpler?
I removed the existing fittings to find a mass of red and black wires coming out of the ceiling. Someone I know, a qualified electrician, fitted the lights for me and they worked fine.
Problem is the bulbs are constantly blowing, as much as 3 per month or so. I stupidly threw the instructions away shortly after installation but as far as I recall the instructions said "maximum wattage per fitting is 120" The bulbs I am using are 40Watts, therefore I am not exceeding this.
Any ideas would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
What brand are the bulbs? Asda/Tesco value bulbs will not last very long. Philips or Osram bulbs will last longer.

There could be a loose connection (manufacturer fault) at the lights which is causing excessive heat and therefore blowing your bulbs. How much did you pay for each fitting? And where did you get them?

crafty1289 said:
What brand are the bulbs? Asda/Tesco value bulbs will not last very long. Philips or Osram bulbs will last longer.

Must admit have opted for the cheapest each time.

There could be a loose connection (manufacturer fault) at the lights which is causing excessive heat and therefore blowing your bulbs. How much did you pay for each fitting? And where did you get them?

Paid £20 for each fitting from B&Q

try new switches too, old switches seem to lead to short bulb life.

i'm not sure what causes this though it could be a similar issue to that with loose connections.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
i'm not sure what causes this though it could be a similar issue to that with loose connections.

Thats what I have always beleived, and I can't think of how it could be anything else

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back