Screw in the middle of bath plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,
I just decided to try and clear hair from down my bath plug hole by unscrewing the screw in the centre of the plug, assuming their would be some kind of ‘hair trap’ in there…
I got so far and then realised I had no idea what I was doing, and what if the screw was detaching the actual waste pipe from the bath.
I rapidly screwed it up again tightly, but now I’m concerned that if it hasn’t lined up correctly, the waste pipe will be misaligned, and water will be escaping below. The bath panel is tightly secured in place, so no way of checking it out. I thought I’d ask here if anyone can reassure me that the screw in the photo is for clearing out debris from a trap, rather than unattaching the waste pipe from the bath..
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
The chrome part is often held in place by silicone.

Loosening the screw might have made the lower fitting drop slightly (temporarily), but it will probably have a gasket that should reseal.

I am not a plumber though.

1. That screw is what holds the waste fittings in place. There is no "hair trap" below it.
2. If you did not unscrew it fully, and it has screwed back up fairly tight, you shouldn't have any problems.
3. If you are unfortunate and there is a leak, the options may be:
3.1 Remove the bath panel, no matter how difficult.
3.2 See if access can be gained from the ceiling below. It may be cheaper to patch the ceiling than fix / renew the bath panel.

Thanks, I live in a flat so better safe than sorry, and I will endeavour to remove the bath panel. Better safe than sorry. Thanks again for the advice

Sponsored Links
I think it best you remove panel and check.

If all is OK then use ine if these when showering.
17126728526857941483310029169934.jpg

I have 3 girls in my family and they seem to have a lot of hair.

Must be the amount of toilet roll they eat! at least I think they do because they get through it quick enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back