Screw Length for Tile Backer Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using 12mm insulated tile backer board, similar to Wedi, in our bathroom. To give space to run pipes behind the board, I am screwing 18mm by 44mm battening to the wall at 300mm spacing. The board will be glued with Mega polyurethane glue and screwed as well with washers. Will 18mm screws be long enough or do I need longer, into the wall as well?

James.

Sponsored Links
Not 100% certain about tile backer but plasterboard specifications are board thickness plus 10mm of screw into timber, for single borads. Tile backer wouldn't be too different. If I were you I would use 25mm screws.

General rule of thumb for fixing something using screws is to have one third of the screw in the thing being fixed and two thirds in the thing being fixed to. You can have more of the screw in the substrate, but avoid having less

I'd normally use at least 35mm screws for 12mm boards (one third/two thirds rule) but in this case you don't have enough substrate before the screw hits the wall so I'd go to the max possible (30mm) given that you've also got a washer standing things off a few mm. 18mm screws for 12mm boards is the thirds rule the wrong way round and, with the washer as well would mean that you probably wouldn't get much more than just the top of the screw into the batten (and there isn't any appreciable thread depth on a screw tip)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think you'll get really bored plugging the wall sufficiently for the backer boards as well as the battens..

I'd go 25mm, the screws will countersink into the boards slightly, in theory you could go to 30mm but there's a danger the scr pluging into the brick seems a bit extreme.
Thank you, Robin.

I shall use the proper length screw
What does the manufacturer recommend as the 'proper length'? I had a quick squidge at the Wedi website (rubbish website I thought btw and I know you're not using that board) I don't really see the point of it at 12.5mm?

I'd go 25mm, the screws will countersink into the boards slightly, in theory you could go to 30mm but there's a danger the scr pluging into the brick seems a bit extreme.

What does the manufacturer recommend as the 'proper length'? I had a quick squidge at the Wedi website (rubbish website I thought btw and I know you're not using that board) I don't really see the point of it at 12.5
I used the chat tool on STS's website: they advised to use 30mm screws. I used 70mm screws to secure the stud work to the wall and 60mm screws with hammer-in plugs to secure the board to the stud work and into the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back