Screw lengths and spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that this one has been done to death elsewhere, but I do have a specific query about using 45mm drywall screws that I've not seen an answer to.

Timber frame new build property, with my intention to use 12.5mm plasterboard on external walls and 1st floor ceiling, 15mm soundbloc on internal partitions and ground floor ceiling, and moisture resistant boards in bathrooms (cement board to shower areas).

NHBC standards state 300mm centres for screws on walls, and 230mm centres on ceilings, but a lot of folk seem to suggest that 150mm is better on both walls and ceilings. Given that drywall screws are relatively cheap, I'll probably go with 150mm centres.

Any issues, suggestions or alternative advice so far?

I intend to use 35mm screws on the external walls (to circumvent the chance of 38mm screws penetrating through the vcl behind the service cavity battens, which are 25mm), but (long story), I have a large supply of 45mm collated screws and wondered if anyone had any reason why I shouldn't use these on the internal walls and ground floor ceiling rather than the more widely recommended 38mm?

Sponsored Links
I just over boarded an artex ceiling and used 150mm because that is what my research lead me to, but also I think 150 on walls is not needed. Google gyproc white book ceilings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back