Screw not gripping in the lugs of a metal back box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a metal back box where one of the screws isn't gripping in the lugs for the screw.
I have tried swapping the screws but have the same issue. If I apply pressure when screwing, it goes through the lug but doesn't have any effect as the socket is still loose on this end.

I could replace the box but likely to cause collateral damage. Was wondering if there are any tips for this.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Would a rethreading tool work in this instance? Or are there top, bottom, left right lugs and rotate the back box?

*Thinking aloud*

what about using a tool to re-thread the hole to 4mm and then using a 4mm screw?

*Thinking aloud*

what about using a tool to re-thread the hole to 4mm and then using a 4mm screw?
I have done this a couple of times in the past.
Both times when someone thought it would be a brilliant idea to use a woodscrew to fix the socket to the wall.

I can see how the faulty lug can be removed quite easily but its being held by the two sliding mechanisms. Do they need to be removed in order to use these replacement lugs? They are moulded to the box AFAIK and may be tricky to remove.
If its the adjustable lug thats faulty, then just clip it out and fit a whole new lug from a new box of the same make

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back