Screw or nail plasterboard to wooden battens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could buy some clout nails to do this - but I think of nailing as wrong when I could screw something (careful !)

Advice please - pros and cons of both ?

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard screws are brilliant. Very sharp so easy to use, pull themselves just below the surface without tearing the paper and don't rust. I wrote the Lafarge plasterboard Select programme a few years back and don't remember nails being mentioned in it.

Plasterboard screws and a Makita impact driver for me. Just go easy on the trigger finger.

Dont use an impact driver to set screws in p/b - totally the wrong power tool.

Depending on how many screws are needed then you might be best doing it by hand or using a drill set at low speed to set the screw heads just proud of the board, and finish sinking them into the paper by hand.

Practice a little first and then do what you feel comfortable with.

Sponsored Links
An impact driver is totally the right tool. Speed and precision. Obviously you don't own one. :rolleyes:

Wrong.

Professional drywaller hangers use Auto feed screwdrivers, builders & carpenters use cordless screwdrivers - power tools that can be set once and used all day without adjusting the calibration - but i've never seen anyone using an impact driver to set drywall.

Its also totally the wrong tool to recommend to a DIY'er who could end up splitting the paper, leaving the screw head proud or creating vibration with knock-on effects.

Obviously, trolls and characters who hang around google might be inclined to use one.

You're a clueless idiot. We all use them. It's time you were banned - yet again. :mrgreen:

There are more people in the UK that have nailed plasterboards than have screwed ones.

I remember being delighted when board screws first became popular but not nearly as excited as when I got my first cordless screwdriver!

Screws are particularly superior when fixing boards to flimsy battens, i.e. those that bounce. Those older tradesmen amongst us will remember trying to wallop a clout into some boxing-in, only to ruin the board as the whole thing shook and bounced.

I find it easier knocking screws in with a lump-hammer.. ;)

Thing is, for professionals nailing is far too slow, of course. But for a bit of p/board i'd simply nail it on, dimpling the nail head just below the surface as "rockers" did for many years before the switch to screws.

Nail pop from using "wet" framing was another push towards screwing p/b.

School's out and he's back again google trolling, and a weird obsession with some imaginary character who's been expelled from the site: has exclusion in the playground been a problem in your little life; have the girls chased you off? - sad really.

Perhaps somebody will run and get a bucket and get the baby some beer, because the Mogadon sure doesnt seem to agree with him these days - why not try the industrial strength?

AAMOI: with all that googling you seem to do why not copy some remark thats even amusing for anyone above eight?

We all know you are the banned poster Danni09.

I'm glad to hear that you speak for: "We all" implying that you are a spokesperson, a mind reader and a a semi literate ie. i've searched for Danni09 but cant come up with the name.

Do the site mods or the admin take you into their confidence - must be some big duvet y'all shelter under. Or perhaps the inclusive "we" refers to you and your little friends?

I know that you've had some kind of expulsion difficulties in the past - just like Adam & Eve, they too suffered expulsion, & without the benefits of Mogadon - come to think of it, maybe you also speak for them?

Come on, fess up to your wee public, guarantee you will feel better - did the girls really pull your hair? You little squirmer, bet they did?

I also know that today must be a quite a strain for you so i'd advise immediate dark room therapy and a new duvet. Mmmmm ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back