Batten bounce prevention when nailing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i had several tile breakages yesterday due to battens bouncing when nailing in clout nails.
My battens are 38x19 and have been counter battened.
Requirements are two clout nails per tile on vertical tiling?
Screwing would be easier but believe it's not correct to do so.
Any handy tips for prevention or just avice on screws.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
just happens sometimes when using 38x 19 battens, but with studs at 400 centres shouldn't be much of a problem. Any reason why you are using them, I can understand using them on the pitched roof to match in with existing, but I would have switched up to 25mm battens where possible.
I wouldn't screw them in it just makes problems if they ever need ripping out

it's possible to drill pilot holes even for nails, but I can't see a professional roofer spending time on such frippery.

they just leave a proportion of cracked or broken battens.

I suppose there might be a knack to the amount of force on the hammer.

just happens sometimes when using 38x 19 battens, but with studs at 400 centres shouldn't be much of a problem. Any reason why you are using them, I can understand using them on the pitched roof to match in with existing, but I would have switched up to 25mm battens where possible.
I wouldn't screw them in it just makes problems if they ever need ripping out
Inexperience again I'm afraid.
I think I'm going to screw one or two and with others around being nailed then there should be less of a problem removing at a later date . It's that or sharpening each nail
I did have some thinner galvanised wire type nails that went in easier than the thicker clout nails I bought. Will try these too.

Sponsored Links
on the coast they use stainless roofing nails (formerly bronze) as galvanised doesn't last.

on the coast they use stainless roofing nails (formerly bronze) as galvanised doesn't last.
Although I can now see a bit further from the dormer openings , I don't think I can see any sea. Hopefully the nails will last as long as the tiles do. :)

it's possible to drill pilot holes even for nails,

please you're bringing back nightmares, we once had to pilot and nail over 1000 tiny nails once. not sure if that was worse than nailing a whole velodrome by hand, not on my own I will concede

(the stainless nails might be more pointed and shiny than galvanised ones)

I've got different nails and they are an improvement. So no drilling required for now.
Can't believe it's getting dark so quick. I may have to get the Christmas lights out to work under.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back