Screw spinning when fitting new window hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently fit a new friction hinge on my uPVC window (side hung) to replace a worn one. All went ok apart from one of the screws spinning in the hole. Are there any solutions to this? As far as I'm aware, the screws don't actually go into anything substantial, just the thin bit of upvc frame.

Thanks,
NS

Sponsored Links
are you using the old screws ??
does the screw have an unthreaded part at the head??

Yeh, just the existing screws. I believe it does have a kind of "self-tapping" head on it.

A picture of the old screw could be handy, but you could go one size up.....for example, 5mm thread could go up to 6mm if it's a threaded type.
You'd also need to increase the size of the countersink in the hinge, of course.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Can you make a new hole alongside the old one? If there is not enough room a slightly thicker screw is the way to go as Burnerman said.

theres a fair chance the screw was loose on the old stay
as said larger screw or move it
if you need to re-drill the hole larger take note off clearance on the mechanism where the head will sit to work out the amount off countersink to clear the mechanism
and you need to remove to drill the hole in the metal to avoid touching the plastic behind as that will stop the screw gripping

Thanks for all your replies. It seems the repair screws (which I assume are just a bigger thread) is the way to go.

Cheers!

So long as it won't interfere with the plastic slider then using the same screw and a cordless screwdriver drill a new hole through the stainless steel track and into virgin plastic right next to your original hole

If you do put a new screw through the hinge, it is a good idea to countersink it with a 10mm drill bit

You can pack the existing hole with a few strands of wire or paper clip, single staple, this give purchase with original screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back