Screwfix = poor quality?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently just started in this trade i'm still unsure of what suppliers are the best to go with for equipment i.e. fittings, valves, pipes etc.

Screwfix caught my eye due to their cheap prices but i read elsewhere on this site that they tend to be poor quality. Is this true? If so, what companies fittings would you recommend?

Are wickes plumbing supplies any good?

What i dont want is to save customers money by using cheaper goods from screwfix, only for it to go faulty later, which will inevitably get people thinking i'm a dodgy plumber who does poor quality unreliable work.

Sponsored Links
I use screwfix occasionally,normally on a saturday afternoon/sunday morning when everywhere else is shut.
Like you say quality is at best irregular.What i mean is you can buy,for example a ball valve one week and it would be of great build quality etc.Then buy the same item a few weeks later and it would be a load of ****.
Have you used plumbfix yet?
As for merchants i find that PTS,city,HPS and our local merchant,Williams to be about the best you can get.Normally have most things in stock or at the very latest next late morning.
You will just have to try all merchants in your area to get a feel of quality,service and helpfulness.

I've not tried plumfix, will give them a try.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. we've got a couple of large plumbing suppliers in my area so think i will focus on those guys for parts. I'd rather not risk going with DIY suppliers if the quality is not going to be great!

Sponsored Links
plumbfix/screwfix often have both good and bad quality fittings. If you look through the catalogue you will notice for example, washing machine valves, 1 cheap option, then another slightly more expensive one made by pegler. Also, flexi tap connectors, cheap option, then another WRAS approved version for slighty more. As long as you can recognise the good and the bad stuff bargains are to be had :D
I often buy endfeed from there as well as they're much cheaper than merchants, you might get the odd 1 or 2 in 30 that are no good, but you can't grumble at price and they do the job. Just don't go to plumbcentre for small items, their prices are a rip off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back