Screwfix quoted radiator BTU's, are these right??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to replace the upstairs rads and have worked out what BTU's I need and don't want to do too much pipe work, so was going to get rads the same size. I was also having a problem with not enough heat, and have been advised to up the size of the rads by putting doubles in.

I have looked at Wickes rads and a 600x600 single is quoted at 1909BTU but screwfix quote 2919BTU. A Wickes 600x600 double 3641BTU screwfix, 5490BTU. Both are quoted for a delta T 50 degrees.

Does anyone know if these values are correct? Screwfix claim theirs offer exceptional heat output due to two fins welded to the water ways. Surely they can't lie and these quoted are correct?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
As Wicks and Screwfix do not make radiators, it would be best to find out the names of the manufacturers and contact them directly.

Radiator manufacturers in the EU are now required to measure the output from each type of radiator at a Delta T of 50°C, but UK manufacturers use this measured value to extrapolate the output for Delta T = 60°C (to maintain compatibility with previously published radiator ratings).

If your heating system is timer controlled, then it is usual to increase the size of all the radiators by at least 10%, the intermittent heating factor, to reduce the re-heating time.

Have had a further dig around the net and found some info on Myson rads.

Quote from: http://www.myson.co.uk/pdfs\Panel Tech.pdf
"All Myson Select radiators are manufactured and tested to BS EN 442.
Every radiator carries the BS Kitemark which certifies independent approval of heat output and verifies production under a quality system to BS EN ISO 9002." From this, screwfix rads should have been correct as they are made to the same spec. but they seemed too good to be true.

The values quoted on these pages are more like the Wickes ones. I phoned Screwfix to find out a bit more info and it turns out that the info in the catalogue and on the web site was wrong. The web site is now correct and agree with the Wickes values.

Thanks for your advice and I can now work out what I need to order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back