Screwfix trade-UK account

In the trade queue, do you still get the idiots who don't quite get the concept of
  • Looking in a catalogue
  • Writing down what you want
  • Going to counter, give order to assistant
  • Pay
  • Move out of queue to other area and wait?

I am staggered by the number of customers that ask the staff for product advice/recommendations.I don't doubt that the managers are given training but the majority of staff seem to be order takers (not intended to be a criticism of them).

Mind you if my customers walk into a decorators' merchant and ask which is the best brand of paint, they will be coerced into buying Leylands, purely and simply because the margins are better than Dulux trade.

Sponsored Links
On the subject of Screwfix. At all the Screwfix branches I use you have to push the doors to get in, but then when you want to leave with your arms full of stuff you need to get a hand free to pull the door to open it. Would be so much easier if the doors where the other way round then you could just back out of the door and open it with your body...... a minor point I know, but it does annoy me every time.

IIRC Kent voted for doors that only open oneway during the Brexit vote.

/ducksForCover

As an aside, the two Toolstations that I use most frequently have doors that open in both directions however the signs on the doors suggest that they only open in one direction. I would be even more irked if I had to struggle to pull a door open when i could have simply pushed it.

Selco have automatic doors but they assume that all customers are thieves. I don't drive and normally have my rucksack with me. I am not allowed to walk around the store unless I put my rucksack in to a locker that it will not fit into. When I point out the spacial challenge, the staff recommend that I just leave my laptop and its £2500 contents behind the counter. When I ask if they will provide insurance they go into full on "The Walking Dead" mode, which regrettably seems to be the de facto manner for the majority of their staff.

I am so glad that Selco's prices are often higher than my other suppliers' ...

I was under the impression that for buildings with public access the doors had to open outwards, for safety as an emergency exit?

They don't have to, no. It's best practice to do so where practicable. A building that has less than 60 staff a designated exit can open in any direction as long as it can be opened easily enough.

The wording is a bit vague for shops and public access but at the same time, I don't think I've been to a screwfix that doesn't have swing in either direction.

Sponsored Links
I'll be going to the Gillingham branch tomorrow, I will try pushing the door, depsite it saying pull, when I leave and see what happens ;)

I was under the impression that for buildings with public access the doors had to open outwards, for safety as an emergency exit?

I've met a few people who believe that, despite very many of the doors they must use every day obviously opening inwards...

Maybe it's the case in the US, or something?

Went to a Screwfix branch yesterday and as usual it said 'pull' on the inside of the door. Ignored that and pushed it anyway........... turns out the doors do go both ways. Perhaps I shouldn't always do as I'm told like my mother said.

And I'm definitely not another corbynista anarchist, I can guarantee that.

It's only a credit card (or charge card) - no associated discounts
There are associated discounts, but not on everything, and it's not very predictable either as it seems to change occasionally. For example, at the moment the public pay £11.66+VAT for a length of 22mm copper, but TradeUK account holders pay £10.75+vat

Equally, in the trade queue do you still get the staff who don't get the concept of "no, I don't wish to give you my name, address, postcode in order to buy this box of screws. I'll just take the receipt, thank you", or if they do get the concept go all sullen faced and start huffing like Kevin the teenager as they now have to enter some sort of override code into the till, which is just like waaaaay too much effort innit?

(I know you don't because trade customers will necessarily provide those credentials to get the trade card, but you get the point).
Just get one of their customer identifier cards, they scan it and instantly have your details, saves loads of time and huffing

There are associated discounts, but not on everything, and it's not very predictable either as it seems to change occasionally. For example, at the moment the public pay £11.66+VAT for a length of 22mm copper, but TradeUK account holders pay £10.75+vat

According to Screwfix, the discount is available to Plumbfix registered customers. I just checked by logging into our Screwfix account and the prices are as you stated - we would pay £10.75/3m on 22 mm tube without a Trade-UK account.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back