Screwing Deck Boards and spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a quick look on google but couldn't see a answer...

When Screwing down a deck board, Do you just screw each end? or on every joist to?

Also while browsing I was reading a site where people in the US swear by Butting the boards together instead of leaving gaps! thought that was strange as over here people say the opposite.

Sponsored Links
surley if you screw it at ends only it will bow upwards?

Tommy Walsh always leaves a gap when he did them

Ok but do you screw them on every joist or just a few...I don't want to be looking at my new decking with loads of screws all the way down it

I think Tommy Walsh did every intersection, perhaps yopu could do every other one

Sponsored Links
If you look at all the American sites on decking and they do a lot of decking over there they recommend screwing down on all joists to stop the boards bouncing.
The gap between boards seems to be personal preference, its only to let the water drain away.

Harry

Screw to every joist. Joists are almost never true (flat) or never stay that way if they are. Pound to a penny the boards'll start bouncing after a while if you don't.

If you make sure the lines of screws are nice and straight it really doesn't matter that there's several lines of screws. Alternatives are deck fising which are hidden, but have never used them as they are expensive and, IMHO, un-necessary.

the gap between the boards is essential to allow expansion and contraction of the timber during the different seasons in this country. We place the joists at 400mm centres and fix either to every joist or every other one.

Thermo said:
the gap between the boards is essential to allow expansion and contraction of the timber during the different seasons in this country. We place the joists at 400mm centres and fix either to every joist or every other one.

Yeah that was what i was thinking...

WabbitPoo said:
Screw to every joist. Joists are almost never true (flat) or never stay that way if they are. Pound to a penny the boards'll start bouncing after a while if you don't.

If you make sure the lines of screws are nice and straight it really doesn't matter that there's several lines of screws. Alternatives are deck fising which are hidden, but have never used them as they are expensive and, IMHO, un-necessary.

and fiddly and ****e!

Screw to every joist IMO.

Key to gapping is to know whether the boards are wet or dry ... If wet gap smaller if dry gap larger.

If you gap wet boards at 6mm small kids will fall down the gap at the height of summer when the boards have dried out :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back