screwing into ceiling joist

i think the house is 1930's

yes the plaster ripples above the black wood. I didn't so much chisel as just knocked it flat, it was very flaky. I did loads of hammering into the joists, is that bad?

I used these mini joist hangers, went in a bit crap but it's steady.

Attachments

• crap.jpg
    crap.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
As I thought, you have a lath and plaster ceiling. The thin strips of wood are nailed to the joists, and the plaster pushed up so it grips into the sort of lattice or ladder.

By now, a lot of them have fallen down. The laths may have rotted or been eaten by worm; the plaster may have cracked or broken away from the laths; if you are in a city or industrial town or seaport, it will have been shaken loose during the 1939-45 Unpleasantness.

Perhaps from below you can see cracks or the irregular shape of large sections of the ceiling coming loose.

You might be lucky, but it will be entirely unsurprising if the ceiling falls down if you disturb it by hammering or by swinging anything off it, or by dancing around on the joists, or just because it is bored with staying up.

As I thought, you have a lath and plaster ceiling. The thin strips of wood are nailed to the ceiling, and the plaster pushed up so it grips into the sort of lattice or ladder.

By now, a lot of them have fallen down. The laths may have rotted or been eaten by worm; the plaster may have cracked or broken away from the laths; if you are in a city or industrial town or seaport, it will have been shaken loose during the 1939-45 Unpleasantness.

Perhaps from below you can see cracks or the irregular shape of large sections of the ceiling coming loose.

You might be lucky, but it will be entirely unsurprising if the ceiling falls down if you disturb it by hammering or by swinging anything off it, or by dancing around on the joists, or just because it is bored with staying up.
this particular room has an artex ceiling, cracks wouldnt show up as much. I do have cracks elsewhere though, and in one room (the room i had initially planned to hang the bag) the ceiling looks as though it's sloping, so that would explain it. do you think it may be wise to have it replastered? I take it plasterboard and skim layer is the prefered method now?

best to find a well-recommended local plasterer who is familiar with ceilings like yours, and see if any neighbours have had it done.

He may prefer to screw (not nail) plasterboard through the existing ceiling, and skim it, because it is easier and much cleaner than pulling the old one down.

If there are bulges showing, I would be happier to pull it down for thoroughness. You will be astonished at the dirt.

Post your pic in the Plastering section for better opinions.

Sponsored Links
That's looks pretty decent. If you could screw another piece over the top of the old and new joists (on the T junction) it would be even stronger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back