Screwing through roof felt?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can give some advice on this.

I am constructing a log cabin from a kit. I have decided to use a two-stage felt (undersheet nailed on followed by capsheet glued on over it) for the roof instead of their suggestion of roof membrane and shingles. However, in the construction manual, it talks about screwing some "wind braces" to fascia board and into the roofboards, thru the felt. I have queried this with the supply company as I felt this punctured the felt and could cause leaks in the future. They have confirmed that it will puncture the felt!

Does this sound right and is pretty standard? Or have I good cause to be sceptical? And if it is wrong, can anyone suggest any alternatives? (at the moment, I feel its probably wise to put the braces in, but to stick a blob of silicon sealant in around where the screw goes in).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back