Screwless Connectors/Push fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what do u guys think of these, wago and niglon make them it's to use in place of strip connector, u just push the wires in them, not very well advertised or stocked in many places yet. have any of u used them yet or even seen them at all?

Sponsored Links
Some light fittings use this type of connector - I don't like the idea of them tbh - one wee pull and the cables out (could be done by accident?)
Not seem the choc block type mind but I think that sounds an even worse idea!

i think they are bad idea too, no control over how tight the cable is gripped

I have used the wago ones and they seem pretty good to me. They are only any good for solid core cable. They do not just pull off. It is quite hard to remove them once they are on the wire.

Sponsored Links
Some of the cheapo exterior bulkhead fittings come with this type of thing fitted. I'm not a big fan myself - I'm never satisfied that the connection is sound. They actually seem to grip quite well though. I still remember the first time I saw these and thought I'd shove the nearest bit of wire (which happened to be the free end of a new coil of twin & earth) in just to see how the connection worked. A classic case of act first, think later! I nearly ended up destroying the fitting trying to seperate it from my coil of wire again.. :cry:

I'm with RF, as long as you use the correct size solid cable they seem to work fine. I can remember a simular conversations when IDC terminations were introduced and replaced the old wire rap and solder terminations on BT frames. Once again IDC works well with the right size and type of cable.

I wonder how much time it would save if socket outlets, light switches and ceiling roses had push in terminations instead of screw terminals?

it would make rework a right pita though, even with telephone cabling its a pain and at least that stuff pulls out fairly easilly and the cable is thin enough that you can get plenty of spare in the backbox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back