Wago in wall connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to emphasize first, this is not DIY.

Recently had some building work done, and we're just decorating one of the rooms.

There are 2 places where the electrician has used wago to join cable, and then popped them into the wall.

Are these OK to be used like this? They're not in a housing or anything and have just been pushed into the wall. At another area, it's against a block wall so will be filled with plaster which will plaster in the wago. Wet + any type of connector seems like a bad idea, do these not have to be accessible in any way?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are these OK to be used like this? They're not in a housing or anything and have just been pushed into the wall. At another area, it's against a block wall so will be filled with plaster which will plaster in the wago. Wet + any type of connector seems like a bad idea, do these not have to be accessible in any way?

No they are not, they should be in some sort of enclosure. Best tackle him on that, it would leave me concerned about the standard of the rest of his work..

No they are not, they should be in some sort of enclosure. Best tackle him on that, it would leave me concerned about the standard of the rest of his work..
Pretty much what I thought. There's a few fused spurs, so looks like the ring main has been extended with the wago connector in the wall.

What would be the actual solution? Connection in the back box, crimp plastered in wall or another backbox and blank faceplate to house the connection?

Sponsored Links
526.5.png

Want to emphasize first, this is not DIY.

Recently had some building work done, and we're just decorating one of the rooms.

There are 2 places where the electrician has used wago 221s to join cable, and then popped them into the wall.

I am not an electrician, but prior to any plastering, I would put some polythene over the connections and squirt in some expanding foam. It should ensure that none of the plaster will touch the connections

Edit.. I am a decorator and often need to deal with similar situations.

Last edited:
Only issue is the connection is too close to the socket backbox, so won't actually get the connection in the backbox. Would end up between the 2.

Logically solution would be to pull a new wire through and do it properly. Doubt another electrican is going to want to get involved, and I already asked this sparky several times is they can just be put in a wall where it's not accessible, and he repeatedly said yes.

His interpretation of the regs, and what a wago is classed as Vs mine. Unless there is some official reg sheet from wago explicitly stating this is against regs?

Then if you haven't a;ready paid him, then I would withhold some money, to address his obvious defects.

Then if you haven't a;ready paid him, then I would withhold some money, to address his obvious defects.
We're not the ones he's contracted with. Will raise it with the builders.

Would it be feasible that it could cause the power trip but the moisture in the filler/plaster getting into the testing slot of the Wagos?

I am not an electrician, but prior to any plastering, I would put some polythene over the connections and squirt in some expanding foam. It should ensure that none of the plaster will touch the connections
I mean, that's the obvious hack, as would wrapping them in electrical tape also be. I'm more concerned about it being correct. If i wanted it to be hacked, i'd have done it myself (which arguably would have been a better job :D )

We're not the ones he's contracted with. Will raise it with the builders.

Would it be feasible that it could cause the power trip but the moisture in the filler/plaster getting into the testing slot of the Wagos?

It could, but the main thing, is that it needs to be done to the regs - irrespective of whether it trips. Hold money back from the builder then, and explain to them why.

Interpretation, but would a wago not be number 1? The join us within a suitable accessory, but that accessory is not within a suitable enclosure itself?
The accessory must be suitable for its conrext, which a wet plastered wall is not. My guess is the sparkie will wrap with tape, and whose to say that is less effective than a crimp.

Blup

It could, but the main thing, is that it needs to be done to the regs - irrespective of whether it trips. Hold money back from the builder then, and explain to them why.
The worrying thing for me is that you begin to wonder how many other cases of bodgery there are on that job....

Not an electrician, but I've worked with one for a long time.
Providing the joint is in the safe zone, he would crimp the cables and use heat shrink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back