Sculpture installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soon I will have to permanently install a sculpture on a cycle route and I'm not really sure where to start.

The sculpture will be plasma cut from 15mm flat sheet steel, and will be max 2mx2m in height and width.

How much concrete would be needed to safely install this?
Will it matter what grade of concrete I use?

And how should the steel be bolted down/attached so that it can't be pinched?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Sponsored Links
I imagine your going to do some detailed drawings before you go ahead with the assembly

When you are done with those, post em up here then people will be able to answer your questions

Good Luck!!

And how should the steel be bolted down/attached so that it can't be pinched?
There's no such thing as "can't be pinched" - some people will be away with anything :rolleyes: The amount of metal you are talking about will certainly have enough scrap value to be "of interest" to some lowlife.

Make it so heavy that even if they get it free of the mountings, then they can't carry it - this is a relative terms since carrying it a few feet to a vehicle is a different matter to carrying 1/2 mile to nearest vehicular access. Weld (don't bolt) it to stout posts that won't break with people "leaning" on it and which won't (in practical terms) be cuttable with hand tools. Embed those posts in the concrete.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back