SDS bit snapped in brickwork - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was in the process of drilling a 6mm pilot hole in the facia brickwork beside my back door. The bricks have a smooth fired finish. I figured i'd put in a pilot first to minimise the finish coming away. Then proceed with larger bits up to the final hole size of 20mm.

The 6mm Bosch SDS plus bit snapped inside the brickwork, not even a stub sticking out.

Now I'm stumped as to how to continue. I can't drill another hole in another location. This is for a bulkhead light and the cable entry is in the bottom left corner only.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If the bit is snapped off flush with the brick, then carefully stitch drill around it until you can get enough of the stub to get mole grips onto.

Or,
If it's snapped off inside then use a 20mm holesaw to drill around it.

Or,
Measure carefully where it is and drill it from the other side.

Or,
Carefully remove the entire brick, and replace.

Often there is a "service" space behind a light fitting for the cable to run across.

Sponsored Links
Often there is a "service" space behind a light fitting for the cable to run across.
This is one of those annoying fittings that has a 20mm internal dia extrusion for gluing in the pva pipe. Its only in the bottom left. I thought about rotating the light by 180deg but the manufacturer does not recommend this.

Is the bit loose in the hole? How about a stick with something sticky on the end? or superglue

Drill new pilot hole directly next to the 6mm hole.This may dislodge the broken bit,then redrill with larger size bit .
I thought this might be the only viable option.
Alas i have no spare 6mm SDS bits. I've given up on ordinary masonry bits now as they all seem to be rubbish but might dig some out as i'm not bothered about knackering those. This brick is stupid tough though.

It's a real bummer as the bit has broken off about 40mm beneath the brick surface. This is the first time I've used the 6mm bit from my Bosch SDS set. Not happy it broke on first use.

I bought a long, thin drill, and drilled next to it, making it loose enough to hammer through. It came loose as I was making the third hole round it. In my case it was a rusted-in stud in RC but it should work.

You would have to be very accurate if working from the other side.

I did look at diamond-tipped core drills but they were not long enough.

Just go in at an angle. 6mm will miss the original broken drill if it's 40mm down. Same position surface hole, different internal. The light fitting won't mind if the screw is a bit crooked.

Bounce the broken bit.

With a punch or bar hammer bust stuck bit with punch or bar, this will then come loose so it will bounce. The bust bit will become loose.

Year's ago to drill a hole you would smack a punch or chisel in the brick. If you held punch tight and hit it, this would cause punch to jam. They trick was to hold loose and get it to bounce. Repeated hits not too hard chips brick away.

You get the idea. Now tap tap tap the stuck bit then when it's free pull out

Lost art that, now there are drills to make holes

Last edited:
Bounce the broken bit.

With a punch or bar hammer bust stuck bit with punch or bar, this will then come loose so it will bounce. The bust bit will become loose.

Year's ago to drill a hole you would smack a punch or chisel in the brick. If you held punch tight and hit it, this would cause punch to jam. They trick was to hold loose and get it to bounce. Repeated hits not too hard chips brick away.

You get the idea. Now tap tap tap the stuck bit then when it's free pull out

Lost art that, now there are drills to make holes
I've used a hole plugger. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back