SDS bit snapped in brickwork - what to do?

Sponsored Links
I'm' not sure we need to know what you get up to off the forums, but thanks for the mental image. :sick:
Ooer, missus.

If I remember rightly, it was a star shaped affair (a bit like a Torx driver bit, but bigger) and pointy and you had to sort of clear it and revolve it as you hammered it in. Just to plug one hole out took forever in harder bricks.

I've scutched walls too.

Ooer, missus.

If I remember rightly, it was a star shaped affair (a bit like a Torx driver bit, but bigger) and pointy and you had to sort of clear it and revolve it as you hammered it in. Just to plug one hole out took forever in harder bricks.

I've scutched walls too.
Star drill?

I reckon that's from @stuart45 's era

Star drill?
Correct.

My old gaffer has had us mixing a tonne of conc' by hand. I've bashed out 8" concrete steps with a lump hammer and cold chisel. Cut 2" council slabs with multiple strikes with a bolster chisel - same with clay drain pipe (on a bed of sand). He didn't even know what SDS was. He thought his old trusty (zero clutch) three HP hammer drill was the bees knees. And when he eventually bought an angle grinder, I had to have a special pass to use it.
At least I can cut plain tiles reasonably accurately, using another tile (corner) and a brick hammer. Ahh the good ole days.

First thing I did when I went on my own was buy an SDS drill.

Oh and I've seen attack ships on fire off the Shoulder of Orion.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Got it out.
I used a 20mm SDS to get to the bit and give me some room to see. Then used another 6mm SDS to drill just below the broken bit. It dropped down into the new hole and i was able to retrieve it with a pair of long nosed pliers.

I was then able to complete the hole through the wall with the 20mm and got my pvc conduit through. Happy days.

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps.

It was a star drill, they were used in a sleeve type holder and Rawl was one maker. The foreman (or other person in charge, who never actually drilled a hole in anger any more, if they ever had) somerimes had a spring driven version, not unlike a manual (hammer driven) impact driver which automatically did 1/4 turn every time it was hit. Us poor proles did it the hard way - with a club hammer and lots of blisters

Oh and I've seen attack ships on fire off the Shoulder of Orion.
Yeah, yeah. It was always better in back in the day in "ye olden times". I bet you could lift a 950 above your head with one hand in those days as well (wimps use Wolfs, real men use Kangos?)

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back