SDS drill bits longer than 1m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for an SDS drill bit, 10 or 12mm that's longer than 1m... I've tried the usual screwfix / toolstation / wickes and co with no joy yet.

The job is just to run a feed to an outside light, but the position is awkward and needs to cut across an updwards diagonal of 1.2m approx. My 1m bit has gone through all the way up to the chuck...

Or are there any extenders that don't need the hole to be three times the width of the tip?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You need to rethink the job, a diagonal cable run like that is just wrong. :rolleyes:

I have a set of three i got in makro which are 10 15 and 20 but i'm not sure how long they are exactly. I think they may only be 1m but have a look anyway as i have seen a similar set in my local cheapo we sell everything shop marketed under the blackspur brand.

That said i don't imagine they would last too long because i only really use them as pilots to finish off holes through thick walls and one of them lasted about 20 holes. But They were a fiver.

Sponsored Links
I have a set of three i got in makro which are 10 15 and 20 but i'm not sure how long they are exactly. I think they may only be 1m but have a look anyway as i have seen a similar set in my local cheapo we sell everything shop marketed under the blackspur brand.

That said i don't imagine they would last too long because i only really use them as pilots to finish off holes through thick walls and one of them lasted about 20 holes. But They were a fiver.
Thanks, I'll have a look in Makro and maybe Costco as well

You need to rethink the job, a diagonal cable run like that is just wrong. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly, cable is cheap and flexible, why not just move the run so that you can come straight through the wall?

Drill it from either side. Simples.

good luck with that idea. :rolleyes:

I've done it before when stuck on a job. It's possible with very accurate measuring, it was to run 15mm copper through a 9" wall but the size of the bit gave me a little to play with a few milli...

Hi

Silverline do a 1.5 metre set. I've seen them on eBay.

If you google "silverline sds 1500" you'll find various shops selling them

However, seems a bit strange to drill a hole that long.

Cheers

G

I agree its not unreasonable through a 9 inch wall when going perpendicular but i don't fancy anyones chances doing it at an angle through 36 inches

Thanks for the replies. I'd love to move the cable run, believe me I'm not trying to make the job harder ! I've a bay window in the way on the outside which restricts my access and gets in the way of the drill, and vaulted ceiling on the inside which prevents me from approaching from both directions (although I must admit I wouldn't fancy my chances, on a straight perpendicular run maybe, but I doubt I'd manage 1m at an angle).

Thanks for the details on the Silverline set, I've found them on Amazon of all places. Doubt I'll need them again afterwards so they can always be ebayed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back