SDS Plus drill bit extensions? Longer than 1000mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'm trying to run a cable in my house through 600mm Granite.
Due to the heights, I've to go up at a steep angle.

I've got a 10m x 1000mm long SDS bit that is just shy of say 200mm before popping out the other end. I can't really drill from the other end thanks to the roof pitch and small target area.

Is there such a thing as an SDS extension? I've seen extensions for core bits, but turned up nothing with regards to SDS plug male x SDS plus female. Would the female have to be a large chuck or can it be a series of grub screws that grip the grooved SDS profile?

I was thinking about drilling a larger hole at the beginning to allow the shank of the extension to drift through.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Can't say I've seen extentions for SDS drills. Even if they existed, they would be wider than your 10mm drill bit (I assume its 10mm, not 10M :D )

Your best bet if you cant get a longer one is just like you said, to make a recess into the wall so you can get that extra 20cm depth to drill with, chisel it out or take a core to the depth you need to get to the other side.

Opps! Yeh, it should be 10mm!

The only ones that I can see are core bit extensions and SDS extensions with chucks on the end. That could work, but I'd have to drill the majority of the hole to drift the chuck through! :eek:

The old way of getting a hole thru a thicker material is to use one size of drill as far as it can go and then use another smaller to hit the bigger target area as you describe it.

So your internal hole make 20mm and come in from the other side with a 10 mm. Should do the trick.

Sponsored Links
Had a 1200mm drill bit made from a length of 12mm threaded rod with a bit welded on the end, builders left it on a job , I found it very useful a few times.

The reason 22mm ones are easier to get is that cables should be conduited so buy one of those and your problem is solved. It'll also make getting the cable through a darn sight easier.

SDS Max and SDS+ are completely different sizes.
Although you can buy a SDS Max to SDS+ converter, you can not buy one the opposite way.

Which, in this case, would render a SDS Max drillbit useless unless he went to buy a SDS Max machine. (Which generally speaking aren't cheap!)

I expect this will come far too late. Silverline are selling 1500mm 12mm/16mm/24mm pack of drills. Check out Amazon.
Could help a searcher in future.
Silverline 633828 3 Pack 1500 mm SDS+ Masonry Bits.

I expect this will come far too late. Silverline are selling 1500mm 12mm/16mm/24mm pack of drills. Check out Amazon.
Could help a searcher in future.
Silverline 633828 3 Pack 1500 mm SDS+ Masonry Bits.

I got a set of these, only used once, but did the job.

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back