Seal Asbestos Tile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I recently found out I've got asbestos in the tile and mastic throughout my house. The stuff was in pretty bad shape, so I took it up with scrapers and Bean-e-Doo.

Anywho, I'd like to put a seal down in the rooms I'll be carpeting (the thinset will take care of the rooms I'm tiling), just to make certain any residue or asbestos left in cracks isn't an issue. Any suggestions / recommendations for a sealant? I've alternately heard / read that I can use Ardex Feather Finish, a self-leveling compound like LevelQuik or Custom Buildling Product's SpeedFinish (SpeedFinish was recommended to me by a guy from Custom Building Product).

I'd like to avoid having to trowel anything on if I could, I'm just wondering if stuff like LevelQuick or SpeedFinish will hold up over the years with carpet on it.

TIA :)

Sponsored Links
there is always a certain amount of trowel work with any floor levelling compound.
it should stand up to pedestrian traffic, but only used as a sub-layer beneath carpet or tiles, for example.

i don't think these levelling compounds will stand much direct traffic, but there are latex additive based mixes that are more tolerant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back