sealant on bath and basin wastes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per many youtube videos, I use a bead of sealant on the underside of the tap and waste fittings. When doing this, presumably, I have to wait 24 hours before testing the water and waste? I ask, as in the videos the plumbers proceed with the testing immediately after fitting i.e. when the sealant is still wet

Sponsored Links
You can use plumbers putty on the waste which doesn't dry or set, so it's up and running straight away
https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/plumbers-mait-750g
plumbers-mait-750g.jpg

No issue with using it straight away as long as it has sealed up. I usually do the waste etc first before the basin gets fitted so the silicone has had some time to cure, or leave it a quick 15mins to skin over.

but wouldn't the sealant be ineffective if it comes into contact with water within 24 hours?

Sponsored Links
Nope, As long as the waste with the silicone is watertight then water won't get past the seal as it isn't water soluble. Only acrylic sealant (caulk) is water soluble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back