Sealing a bath with a trim already installed that has failed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, my first post if anyone can kindly help.

I had a new bathroom installed about 5 years ago, the is seal/trim applied between the tiles and the bath is a behind the tile type trim which overhangs onto the bath to create a water tight seal, which it has not!

I have tried sealing it with a rubber trim over the top of the whole lot in conjunction with some sealant, however after a period of time the rubber trim expands/contracts and it all looks a mess.

Can anyone advise me how to rectify this? I do not want to take the tiles off my next thought is to cut off the trim and replace it with an over the tile trim like the ones advertised on TeleSeal.

Any recommendations greatfully received.

Many thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
bit of a late reply!

the problem with all of those trim type of seals is that they work while the rubber is pliable but once it hardens it no longer moves with the bath.

Your best chance is to take everything off back to the old seal (leave that on unless you want to remove tiles) then fill the bath with water so it drops to its lowest point and use a good quality sanitary silicone - i always push for clear rather than white.

masking tape the top of the bath so it doesnt go everywhere and then try to seal under the trim to the bath.

may not work, but then again it might!

I'm about to do the same in my new bathroom so I'm sharing what I have been reading.

Lots of tilers (by reading here and there) suggest to forget any kind bath sealer and buy instead a upvc quadrant 19mm and silicone both edge with clear silicone with the bath full of water and window open overnight or at least 14 hours.

The upvc quadrant strip it's quite cheap, I bought an huge 5m strip yesterday from my local selco for less then £6.

The best way to spread silicone is by having a cup of water and washing up liquids ready and deep your finger there before spreading it.
Use some electric black tape for the areas you do not want the silicon to show and strip it straight afterword you finish.

upvc upstands around a bath etc...imo look pants....

as for feb-seal around a bath....yuk.. (word Admin wont delete...i hope)...
how you Admin... ;) )....

a good silicone seal ...job done... ;)

Sponsored Links
ps OP
if your good with a stanley blade( a hooked one) then you can cut a pull the feb-seal out from the bottom course of tiles around the bath,then a slighlty bigger bead off silicone to replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back