Sealing a Chimney.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1984 bungalow and an electric fire has been fitted and the fireplace blocked off.

I occasionally hear birds get into my chimney so I would like to block it off at the top.

I have a roof hook ladder, can I just cement a tile over the hole to stop birds and rain getting down the chimney?

Or is it necessary to fir a cowling?

Sponsored Links
when a chimneystack is made redundant it is necessary to cap it off and at the same time maintain an airflow from the fireplace below and the top of the stack.
you would do this by placing a ventilated terminal on top of your existing chimney can (this would be the easiest option) or fitting brick vents to either side of the chimney and sealing off the can.

if the fireplace has been sealed over then a ventilator would need to be fitted.

Thanks for the reply.

I had not heard of a ventilated terminal before.
A google search brought this page up.

http://www.buildingtalk.com/news/wav/wav200.html

After reading that I understand I should not block the top of the chimney off but maintain ventilation to allow air flow and prevent condensation which can lead to damp.

I am unable to find a picture of a ventilated terminal, do you know where I can buy one?
I don't expect B&Q or Wickes will stock them.

Jewsons, ask for an elephants foot, its a clay terminal with holes around the perimiter for ventilation.
you just plonk it on top of your chimney pot. about the £40 mark.

Sponsored Links
Yes the 6th one down, "flue ventilator" .

can you see why we call it an elephants foot? :LOL:

I had a look up on the chimney this morning and it is not a round hole but a 180mm square hole.

ok............the 170mm vent will still sit on this pot! bed the cap down on a bed of silicone to save any rattling.

Thanks again for your help Alastair,

Did you mean to leave a link in your last post or do you mean I should sit the Flue vent into the existing square hole in the chimney?

thats not a link in my last post its a quote :D .

i would get the 170mm terminal and try it in the pot!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back