Sealing a slate floor, again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle.

I thought I would share my story and ask for further advice just incase it helps someone else too.

I decided to tile my bathroom with natural honed slate tiles. The cutting and tiling process went rather well so I immediately launched myself into sealing the finished tile before grouting.
I used Fila Colour enhancer and sealer as recommended and purchased from ToppsTiles. I read the can and applied a sensible amount of sealer with a foam roller across my clean and dust free tiles.
It seemed to absorb well but after drying there were thousands of little pimples where tiny bubbles had dried. I lapped the first coat back and merrily applied another, then another, as you could always see brush strokes.
It then that I read on this board that what I actually had was excess sealant dried on top of my tiles! Argh! - I followed the instructions exactly - why didn't I try it first on a inconspicuous area??

So I looked into getting a FILA dewaxer but that only came in 5l cans which is rather a lot for about 2 square meters. Luckily I used dewax from Lithothin and it actually did the job perfectly. I drenched each tile with the chemical and left to soak for a bit before coming back and working it in with a brush until finally removing with soap and water.
Amazingly my tiles now look better than ever and I can finally start again!

So, please can you advise me how to apply this stuff correctly. I don't want a glaze, just a protection and colour enhancement.

I'm tempted to try to apply it with a soaked lint free cloth, leave it for 10mins and then come back to remove the excess. I'm worried that I might get dry patches of another gloss finish!

What should I do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You may be expecting far more absorption than your going to get. Try just using a lint free cloth to wipe it over, your not trying to put it on thick, it will actually be absorbed into the tile, not lay on top of it.

Wipe a thin layer all over, and wipe off any thats not absorbed in 10-15 minutes. your far better off doing 3 or 4 coats like this rather than 1 very thick coat.

It's surprising how many people have seemingly fallen for this mistake and yet there is little online showing you how to do it properly.

This looks like a good start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFCXJHyJtR4

I'm going to wipe off the excess with a cloth already damn with the sealant so to avoid creating any smears. Hopefully it will leave a tiny amount left to dry into the tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back