Sealing and repairing where uPVC window frames meet mortar (external)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got a couple of question about this if anyone could spare a moment to set me on the right tracks.

1. I've got a lot of uPVC windows with no sealant where the frame meets the mortar. The gaps are small, under a mm I'd say. Are they ok as is or would it be best to seal them? If sealing is needed, what would be best to use?

2. On a couple of these windows chunks of mortar have fallen away. Should I repair with mortar or something else? If using mortar, what product / mix do I need?

Some pictures of both things below.

Many thanks

IMG_20201208_122347394.jpg

IMG_20201208_122333329.jpg

IMG_20201211_133221432.jpg

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd seal the gaps. Given they're small, you don't require a ridiculously thick bead of sealant, however don't go too thin either or it'll probably just come away. Decent enough sized bead to adhere to the upvc and concrete. Something like this will do the trick (in the correct colour!):

Dow Corning Dowsil 796 LM Frame Silicone Sealant - Brilliant White (sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk)

Re mortar repairs, if you don't have much to do and the gaps are small, you might get away with this:

No Nonsense Mortar Repair Grey 310ml | Ready Mix Cement | Screwfix.com

If larger gaps to repair, this:

Cementone General Purpose Mortar Grey 5kg | Ready Mix Cement | Screwfix.com

Thanks @diy_fun_ok That's really helpful, especially the links to the products...

I have used Geocel The Works in the past when sealing wooden window frames and that was great stuff. But I used that because I had to paint on it. Seeing as i don't need to paint here, the DC 796 looks like a great choice and as it is available in rosewood it should match the frame nicely and be unnoticeable.

As for the ready mix cement options, will they give a similar rough appearance like what is there at the moment? I'd like it to blend in as much as possible, so if ready mixes will stand out a bit I'm happy to mix my own and any pointers on that (if it's necessary) would be fantastic.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks @diy_fun_ok That's really helpful, especially the links to the products...

I have used Geocel The Works in the past when sealing wooden window frames and that was great stuff. But I used that because I had to paint on it. Seeing as i don't need to paint here, the DC 796 looks like a great choice and as it is available in rosewood it should match the frame nicely and be unnoticeable.

As for the ready mix cement options, will they give a similar rough appearance like what is there at the moment? I'd like it to blend in as much as possible, so if ready mixes will stand out a bit I'm happy to mix my own and any pointers on that (if it's necessary) would be fantastic.

Cheers
No worries. The chances are the ready-mix mortar might not be an exact match, could even be quite a noticeable difference. If you need advice on this, maybe post in the building section? This might help also:

Colour Matching Mortar and Cement Mixes for an Invisible Repair | DIY Doctor

Although it involves spending some £, to potentially save yourself time/hassle, you might want to try buying a small tub of the mix you want to use. Put some out and see what the colour's like when it dries. You might be pleasantly surprised!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back