Sealing breached felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have drilled a 100mm hole through the side of my flat roof for some venting. The hole has breached the felting. What can I use to create a water tight seal between the plastic vent and felt ? I was going to using general purpose silicone but someone mentioned they used it and the bitumen started to seep through the felt???

Also, should I seal the hole first with some flashband ?

Sponsored Links
Silicone would probably be fine, but Geocell do a kosher roofing sealer - Screwfix 32561. Failing that, and depending on the gaps involved, consider Evercryl (MKM) or Aquapol.
John :)

Silicone would probably be fine, but Geocell do a kosher roofing sealer - Screwfix 32561. Failing that, and depending on the gaps involved, consider Evercryl (MKM) or Aquapol.
Cheers John. Just to confirm, should I use the sealant between the brick and felt or the felt and vent ?

Regards

Sponsored Links
This stuff remains pretty flexible and does accommodate movement of the felt in the summer months. Apply some in both places you mention to get a good seal.
Just for interest....you say you have drilled a hole in the side of your flat roof.....can you give us a pic, do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back