sealing knots on hard wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am having new sash windows installed. These will be made of hardwood. I wondered whether knotting solution should be applied to hardwoods to stop the knots from releasing sap. Or is it a case of only soft woods requiring knots to be sealed?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
no you dont need to use knotting solution on hardwood but make sure you use a good primer like an aluminium hardwood primer.

thank you very much. Out of curiosity, what are the risks / pitfalls of usuing just a regular wood primer in this scenario?
thanks

a regular wood primer will have very poor adhesion, it is essential to use aluminium wood primer or similar.

Sponsored Links
I would very highly recommend using an aluminium wood primer. As im sure you know sash windows are a sizeable investment and the use of an aluminium primer will significantly increase the life of your windows. As it contains aluminium pigment, the primer has far better resistance to moisture than an ordinary wood primer. This not only protects the wood but stops the wood from swelling as a result of a high moisture content.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back