Sealing MDF against occasional mop splashes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just putting together a radiator cover to go in our hall.

The rad cover is made of MDF and will be sitting on the tiled floor of the hall. The hall gets mopped once a week so, being aware that MDF and water don't mix, i want to seal the splashable areas of the MDF prior to painting.

What's the best way of doing this? I've used PVA in the past when building kitchen units but they had a plastic coating on them and i was only sealing the cut edge. I'd be concerned about paint sticking to PVA if i seal the lower 100mm or so of the MDF with PVA.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you cannot seal against water and be 100% sure
theres a 90% chance a fully protected cover will be damaged after a year or so

best you can do is fully paint it mop carefully to within a foot or so with a virtually dry mop
then use a squeezed dry cloth and avoid touching the cabinet to finnish

Fully painting them will happen anyway.

We have a cleaner who is prone to sloshing plenty of water about when she mops. Despite requests to the contrary, she just seems to like using lots of water. She's a very good cleaner and very reliable so we're loath try and find another one, hence the intention to seal the MDF as well as possible.

I accept the coating might get damaged, but its unlikely to get damaged underneath where the bulk of the wetness will be for short periods of time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back