Sealing porcelain tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some matt porcelain floor/wall tiles (30x60x1) from homebase for my bathroom. Once laid, do I need to seal these? I have done searches on this topic but come up with conflicting views on this.

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't tell you to on the box you should be fine. Make sure you use the correct adhesive and grout though, standard stuff could stain them.

Sorry to be flippant, but I did not realise you could buy good porcelain tiles from homebase !!
I would point out that I know of several porcelain tiles that need sealing and on each occasion , no mention is made of this fact on the boxes.
There are one or two products on the market which , if you are in doubt, you can apply to both porcelain and ceramic tiles to assist with ongoing maintainence/cleaning. They are solvent based and are invisible. One, for example is 'Sovereign stone sealer' which, despite its name, will go on almost anything.

Sponsored Links
Excellent. thank you. Will give it a try. Well, they're definitely porcelain and they're definitely from homebase, but whether they are 'good' or not, who knows :) They certainly look nice to me, but I'm no expert. Thanks again

even tho i beleive they wont need sealing, if you must i work this way.

seal - lay - seal - grout - seal.

no room for error, then after grouting a good clean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back