Sealing round windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have removed all the old silicone sealant between the window frames and the windows as I want to renew it before painting.

I was told a while back that caulk could be used to seal the gaps but I have tried this and every time a small crack appears when it sets.

The caulk I bought was "Painters Mate" from screwfix.

Can anyone suggest anything I can use instead but not silicone as I want to paint over it.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

Sponsored Links
Painters mate was the orignal brand of caulk...sadly its never evolved and it probably the worst

why dont you finish the windows and then go around them with silicone

Unfortunately the windows were fitted by the local council before the property was bought so needless to say the sills are not a good fit to the wall.

There is about a 5mm gap round in some places so I think i'd be better to try and seal it first before paint.

Thanks people,

Alan.

Sponsored Links
Just while I'm here....

Could you recommend the a good mastic and decorators caulk for me to buy?

Ta.

You might try filling the gap with expanding foam, then rub it back with sandpaper or a knife (when hard) and apply your sealant to cover the edge.

You can paint foam too, but it needs a very smooth surface (one way to do this is by tacking a batten over it, with the batten covered with clingfilm. The foam then hardens against the smooth film which can be peeled off later)

alnmcn said:
Just while I'm here....

Could you recommend the a good mastic and decorators caulk for me to buy?

Ta.

Most are ok ..I find painters mate and the mangers stuff crap though

hi are you talking about the inside of the frame or the outside if the inside I would use a paintable caulk. I use painters mate and have found the trick is not to use it too thick. Leave it overnight before painting. If outside you must use a sillicone based caulk. this is not overpaintable so it might be an idea for you to paint them first then go around the gaps with a clear or white if windows are painted white.

why dont you finish the windows and then go around them with silicone

Hi Zampa. Hope you dont mind me resurrecting this old post but I have a similar problem. Am about to paint the bathroom window on the inside, but am not quite sure how to tackle the 1-2mm groove between the wooden frame and the double glazed unit. Would it be in order to scrape out the black gunge that lurks in the groove now and then fill with silicone and if so, would I do this before or after priming and painting?

Certainly not before painting..paint wont last on silicone.

After would be ok..but your going to have to cut it away the next time you repaint

Why not consider running a VERY THIN bead of painter caulk around it before you paint...that should do the trick

The gap between the frame and the DG unit is only about 2mm wide and 2mm deep max. Would filling this with caulk and no more be thin enough? And do I forget about the silicone?

Edit: Saw a glazing caulk advertised. Is this what you a referring to?

You cant flood it paint can you?...ive will save using either

If you use the caulk and paint it you wont need the silicone..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back