Sealing stone floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a brand new kitchen in my home and have got quite a large amount of travertine stone floor slabs coming for the floor. I have no problems in laying them as i used to work as a pavior ( similar type of job) but my question is on the best way to SEAL the stone? ( to stop bad staining etc form spillages and the like)

I have read various articles on different types of liquid sealants, some suck into the stone, some stay on the surface..and am totally confused...any help please?

Cheers all!!

Sponsored Links
Hi Adam,
What you need to do is seal the travertine first before laying,then probably
a couple of times after you have grouted.The first time is to stop any adhesive or grout from staining them,then second to seal from future spills
etc..
There are a few companies to choose from for sealer,id go for a penertrating sealer,just follow instructions on tin..Travertine can be very porous,just keep appling until it absorbs no more.I use aquamix sealers if that helps,they are water based not solvent so are alot nicer to apply..

thanks for that answer i will try to find that brand products!

i was told water based is better, so il dry lay them to get the layout then seal them once then wet lay them. then grout them and then keep sealing til no more can go in correct?

Sponsored Links
great stuff thanks for your help!

:D

Are they just laid on a strong sand/cement mix still or something else? Also what is best used for grouting?

Thanks again!

adamfernadam
use Cement based tile adhesives
BAL FASTFLEX

Light travy require fixing with white adhesives to prevent possible discolouration ...ok
use the solid bed method....

Cement based grouts are best for stone jointing..
textured travy surface tend to have grout joints of 6-10mm, whereas smooth honed and polished travy joints can be 3-5mm.
BAL FLEXGROUT
use bal gear here ...

http://www.bpindex.co.uk/manf.html?id=1060

hope this helps :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back