Sealing the back to wall toilet pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a back to wall toilet with concealed cistern. It's one of those pans which sits on the floor. With traditional toilets you should apply silicone around the base of the pan and that's what I intend to do here as well. My question is - should I use silicon to seal the back of the pan where it touches the wall as well?

The corner where the floor and wall meet is not exactly 90 degrees so there is a gap of about 10 mm at the top of the back of the pan where it is supposed to touch the wall.

Sponsored Links
you dont have to put the sealant at the back. I put a similar toilet in recently and couldnt get the toilet flush with the wall, the homeowner didnt seem too concerned about the slight gap at the back.

All depends on how much a visible gap would bother you.

My question is - should I use silicon to seal the back of the pan where it touches the wall as well?

i would it finishes the job off.
but i'd try close that gap abit first.
the only way round that now is raise the front of the wc with a wedge before siliconing.

Sponsored Links
the wc should have one of these kit to secure to the floor.
these have a number of holes to secure the wc.
WB5N250.jpg

you can use wedges that kitchen fitters (BQ etc do them) use to bring the front up a few mm that will close the gap at the back abit allowing you to silicone a sensible gap not 10mm.
then secure your side screws on the fixing kit and silicone.
just cut the wedges to size.

Wedges.jpg

or abit 5mm ply pushed in the front, mark and cut to size/shape of pan then silicone

I would grind down the back of the pan till its sitting flush and then silicone it, i normally just use a 4" diamond cutting wheel on my grinder.

You can't see the cut as you are siliconing it anyway

Robert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back