Sealing under wooden horse box/trailer floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating an old horse trailer so it can be used as a sort of mini-camper for festivals and the like. When not in use it'll sit in the paddock and possibly be used as an outdoor office of sorts, or more likely by the kids as a playhouse.

The base/floor of the horsebox is softwood planks, approx 1 x 8 inch. I dont know if they have been treated (doesn't look like it). I've removed them, cleaned them up a little and sanded down. The planks sit on a galvanised frame so they are supported underneath.

My question is, what's the simplest way to treat the wood (the underside which will be exposed to the elements)?

I have a 2/3 can of bitumen paint left over from a previous project that would cover the area. I also have a litre of hammerite underbody seal (waxoyl stuff) that was going to use for the metal frame but I dont think this is suitable for painting onto wood.

I plan on treating the wood with liquid preserver either way, and the topside will probably be oiled or stained & varnished.

Many thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back