sealing WBP before tiling..do I need to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question (I think).

To avoid raising levels of floors in bathroom and kitchen I will be replacing the floorboards with 18mm WBP and then tiling directly onto that.

Do I need to seal the face and/or edges of the boards before tiling. If I do can you suggest a ready available product from the likes of B&Q. Budget is tight enough

Many thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Personally i'd use 25mm for rigidity, but as you say levels coming into question so fix the 18mm securely at 300mm centres & check there is no movement

Seal the underside & edges of the ply, the face up will not need sealing, reason for this is to stop moisture ingress from underneath. Use flexible powder adhesive & flexible grout

As for b&q sealant??? never use them! My advice would be to try a local tile shop instead, they will have a better range & probably same price if not cheaper.

Personally i'd use 25mm for rigidity, but as you say levels coming into question so fix the 18mm securely at 300mm centres & check there is no movement

Seal the underside & edges of the ply, the face up will not need sealing, reason for this is to stop moisture ingress from underneath. Use flexible powder adhesive & flexible grout

As for b&q sealant??? never use them! My advice would be to try a local tile shop instead, they will have a better range & probably same price if not cheaper.

Thanks Paul,

Will do - heading to some tile shops this weekend. Hoping to use BAL range if I can find it......not always easy to find in parts of Northern Ireland. Will seal the ply as you suggested as that makes sense......sorry know this might be stupid question - but seal it with what exactly

Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Your welcome James

As aflemi says SBR is a good choice, you can't go wrong with BAL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back