Seat Ibiza Mk2 1.4 1997 - Few Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Firstly I apologise if these are stupid questions! I got a Seat Ibiza Mk2 SE today and I believe the air filter is missing.

The photo shows the hose where I believe the air filter should be attached (I may be wrong!) could I get an aftermarket one to put in, how would i secure it in the engine bay?

Second question is, this car doesnt have a cigarette lighter but it does have a blanking plate where one should be, how easy would it be to fit one?

Thanks in advance all!

Sponsored Links
The air filter is actually there - its that black plastic pan thing behind the engine. What you are missing is the air inlet trunking that allows fresh air to be drawn in from the front of the car.
There are two trunks - one draws hot air from the exhaust area (thats there)......its the other one thats missing.
A motor factor will be able to fix you up with some standard trunking.
As for the fag lighter, get behind the socket area first, and see if there's any fairly thick wires - but if I recall, these Seats didn't fit them anyway.
John :)

The air filter is actually there - its that black plastic pan thing behind the engine. What you are missing is the air inlet trunking that allows fresh air to be drawn in from the front of the car.
There are two trunks - one draws hot air from the exhaust area (thats there)......its the other one thats missing.
A motor factor will be able to fix you up with some standard trunking.
As for the fag lighter, get behind the socket area first, and see if there's any fairly thick wires - but if I recall, these Seats didn't fit them anyway.

Firstly, thank you for your reply! I will visit my local motor factor and see what they can do for me. I did have a look behind the blanking plate but there isnt any wires there, could I still fit one?

Sure you can - if I recall, the dash area where the fag lighter goes is simply blanked off.....this blank will have to be cut away.
So - visit your local motor factor, and buy a lighter kit. This will determine the size that the cut out needs to be.
Now, the important part. Cig lighters use a lot of current, so the cable needed has to be substantial. Again, the motor factor will advise. The easiest way is to connect direct to the cars battery - but you MUST fit a suitable fuse to the positive wire as near to the battery as possible. The negative wire will need to be correctly connected to the cars bodywork using a ring terminal.
This method will make the cig lighter work independantly of the car ignition switch - in other words, it will always be live, but the fuse will protect the wiring.
Even if you don't intend to use the cig lighter socket for anything other than a Sat Nav for example, future owners of the car won't know that - hence the need for correct grade cable.

Sponsored Links
Sure you can - if I recall, the dash area where the fag lighter goes is simply blanked off.....this blank will have to be cut away.
So - visit your local motor factor, and buy a lighter kit. This will determine the size that the cut out needs to be.
Now, the important part. Cig lighters use a lot of current, so the cable needed has to be substantial. Again, the motor factor will advise. The easiest way is to connect direct to the cars battery - but you MUST fit a suitable fuse to the positive wire as near to the battery as possible. The negative wire will need to be correctly connected to the cars bodywork using a ring terminal.
This method will make the cig lighter work independantly of the car ignition switch - in other words, it will always be live, but the fuse will protect the wiring.
Even if you don't intend to use the cig lighter socket for anything other than a Sat Nav for example, future owners of the car won't know that - hence the need for correct grade cable.

Sounds like hard work! :eek: how exactly would I run the cable? Where would it be routed?

Ask me anything about tropical or marine fish keeping and im fine, cars and electrics . . . no way!

Probably the best way to start would be to lift the bonnet, and identify the locations where the wiring loom passes through the bulkhead from the engine bay to the interior......the loom always passes through a rubber grommet to protect it. Often there's room for another cable to pass through, but you have to see if its possible to locate that area from inside the car, if you see what I mean - access isn't always straight forward, and often enough interior trim has to be removed.
Don't be tempted to run the cable any other way - if the insulation was compromised in any way you could be looking at a fire.

Back