Simple question for ford fiesta can applty to other cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of getting sat nav for my 1993 model fiesta simply plug into ya cigarette lighter and ya sorted, then i thought has my fiesta actually got a cigarette lighter and to my horror it didnt there was a nice plastic cover over where it had once been i hadnt thought about this ina great deal before as i dont smoke anyway and had no need for it. Now comes the question where can i get a cigarette lighter for and how hard will it be for me to fit, there appears to be room where there was once a cigarette lighter or room for one to be fitted at the extra effort of the owned if she/he so wishes to do so, so i was wondering if anyone could provide any info on where to purchase one from, how much it will cost and will be an easy job for someone that doesnt have a great deal of experience with he maintance side of cars.

Thanks

Cookee

Sponsored Links
Wiring is probably already there for lighter, it will be permanent live if that's what you want. You could get lighter assembly from a breakers for very little money or you could hard wire it. Bear in mind cars have direct current systems and your sat unit polarity will have to be the same as lighter. ie, wire lighter correctly! (lighter will work with polarity reversed, s/nav won't) Personally I'd hard wire it. Or on second thoughts I'd just buy an atlas.

oryt m8 are u ready for this

u can get cigarette lighter out halfords for £6.99. remove the plastic unit with the plastic cover in it. take out the plastic cover and add the new one. look in2 the back and find a wire connector wich has only 2 wires coming off.i think there normally a black and red on the fiesta's (if u have a volt-meter test for 12V) attach the wires onto the back of the cigarette lighter and refit the plastic

tip 1 the red wire gos 2 the center of the cigarette lighter.

tip 2 A garage will fit it and it should cheap!!! try getting some quoits
[/quote]

I don't know anything about Sat-nav boxes, but I would have thought it better put on the ignition first position- as the radio. Least you would be sure it was off when not in use. I agree with hard wiring too- good idea.
Or do I need to navigate some logic :?:

Sponsored Links
Fag lighter is your best bet.
Don't leave any evidence of sat nav in your car (cradle mounted to dashboard etc) or you're guaranteed to get it broken into.

^neo^ said:
Fag lighter is your best bet.
Don't leave any evidence of sat nav in your car (cradle mounted to dashboard etc) or you're guaranteed to get it broken into.
if u do leave the cradle fixed, leave the glovebox open (most obvious place to store it, if they see its empty, they wont break in)

Back