Second Battery in the Boot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This year I will be leaving the Caravan at home & Camping instead.
I want to put & charge my caravan battery in the car boot (the wiring is no problem) is this safe as I know in the caravan the battery is vented to the outside.
Thanks
JonB

Sponsored Links
It should be ok provided the battery is clamped in place, which i am sure you will do, a battery will emit a small amount of gas when it is charging but it should vent ok in the boot area, however if you do get a smell when opening the boot see if there is a rubber grommet in the boot area, like in the spare wheel well that you can take out temporarily to help vent the boot space when the battery is in there!
Quite a few older cars have their battery in the boot and in some cases under the back seat so there should be no problem with what you are doing!

Just a quick word of warning, if you are unfortunate enough to roll your car, it has been known that battery acid has found its way into the roof lining, and when the car has been uprighted, the acid then pours down onto any occupants of the car, when I was rallying years ago someone from my club was badly burnt through this happening. yes our friend is right in saying that some older cars have the battery in the boot, a prime example is the mini, but in alot of those cars that had the battery in the boot had no access to the boot like in most modern saloons or hatch backs.

Sponsored Links
Some Jaguars have the battery in the boot and some BMW's have it under the back seat. Just make sure it's secure and use a decent brand sealed battery.

Thanks Guys for all the replies.
I have a proper Plastic battery box with cover & securing strap.
JonB

Just a quick word of warning, if you are unfortunate enough to roll your car, it has been known that battery acid has found its way into the roof lining, and when the car has been uprighted, the acid then pours down onto any occupants of the car, when I was rallying years ago someone from my club was badly burnt through this happening. yes our friend is right in saying that some older cars have the battery in the boot, a prime example is the mini, but in alot of those cars that had the battery in the boot had no access to the boot like in most modern saloons or hatch backs.

hi pompeyeal, quick ? now this thread has run it's course, i think(apologies if not), do todays batteries (sealed?) still leak ?

if you try to connect two batteries in parallel, they tend to discharge each other. Caravanners can get a switching thing that automatically disconnects the auxiliary one when the engine is not running.

yes batteries still leak, theres a vent to let out the gasses from charging this will also let out the acid.

are you using the 12S socket to do this, if so then the split charge relay is already there.

check out
www.ukcampsite.co.uk its a caming/caravanning foum, loads of people have done this (to include me shortly! my current setup has an inverter in the boot, with a battery charger.!)

He's talking about the grey socket that connects to your caravan The "S" stands for supplementary. The black socket is a 12N, the "N" stands for normal.

He's talking about the grey socket that connects to your caravan The "S" stands for supplementary. The black socket is a 12N, the "N" stands for normal.

what he said!
I knew what they were for, but didnt know thats what the letters meant!

just to add the 12N, the black one is the one for your lights. (well all except reversing lights!)
the 12S provides power for battery charging, fridge, reversing lights etc.

although theres the newish "euro" socket thats 13pin and does everything in one.

Sponsored Links
Back