Second BT Line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, There. We have just got Broadband in the village, and I have got a Tisclai connection, but it is slow.

I have no doubt that the problems are that a) being really out in the sticks, we are at 5.99999KM from the exchange, and the previous occupant of my place used gash cable when fitting the extension.

What I need is an extra BT box, rather than just an extension lead, but BT want £104 to fit it, which I can't afford, and they won't sell me the kit, even though I am a computer technician.

Anyone know where I can get the kit, preferably in or around Bury St. Edmunds, in Suffolk?

Thanks, Nic Jamin

Sponsored Links
tapcin said:
Hi, There. We have just got Broadband in the village, and I have got a Tisclai connection, but it is slow.

I have no doubt that the problems are that a) being really out in the sticks, we are at 5.99999KM from the exchange, and the previous occupant of my place used gash cable when fitting the extension.

What I need is an extra BT box, rather than just an extension lead, but BT want £104 to fit it, which I can't afford, and they won't sell me the kit, even though I am a computer technician.

Haha. Ofcourse they wont sell you it. Why would a company want to make your life easy, and lose £100? Do you seriously think that any company in the world is run for the benefit of the public. It is all about the money - that is the capitalist way. Do not make me or anyone else laugh at you again, for wondering why a company wanted to lose £100 to make your life easy.

Regarding the phone problem though, I cant imagine that a short run of dodgy cable could slow your connection that much. And why do you want an extra BT box? Surely an extension is the same thing?

Incidentally, seeing as you are a techie, are you aware of contention ratios on broadband. They are sometimes as high as 50:1, possibly the reason for the slow connection.

Tapcins subject title is "second line", so I guess s/he ideally wants a new line installing solely for PC use, but I'm not sure after re-reading it.

The kit they would use when installing a second line would probably be "dropwire" that is uv resistant for external use and a " linebox "

which is a standard sized one gang master socket with a removable front plate into which all extensions are connected.

If you want this kit, people like RS sell it, but not, of course, with the BT logo on.

are you just wanting an extra phone socket to connect to the existing line so you can move your pc to another part of the house?

Sponsored Links
Now, seeing as you are a computer tech I am going to make some suggestions:

1) How are you connecting? Is this through a single-computer modem or do you have a router connecting into your network? If the router option, there is a good chance that the diagnostic page will give you the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and attenuation of the line. If it is a single-computer modem, this is less likely but can't hurt to check if you can get it from the tiscali software or some driver setting.

To give you some idea of what it should be, I seem to be on the threshold of adsl (I am not eligible for the 1mbps or faster services as I am too far from the exchange). I get SNR Margins of 11dB / 14dB for downstream and upstream respectively.

What seems to be more important in your case is the line attenuation. I get line attenuations of 54.9dB / 31.5dB for downstream and upstream respectively. I connect through Pipex on the 0.5mbps service and get full speed downloads (up to 65 kbytes/sec) and uploads (32kbytes/sec) and that is at all times of day (yes, even in the evenings!)

2) I have read a few reviews at here and Tiscali customers are slating the product. However, people usually only write reviews to complain so that isn't necessarily applicable to Tiscali in general.

3) Simplest one of all, see what speed your adsl equipment is connecting at. It should be connecting at 576kbps if you have the half megabit connection (before someone says "but that would mean 512kbps", every adsl connection I have ever seen connects at 576. I think the extra 64 might be there for media control, you tell me. :confused: ) Now, if your modem isn't connecting at the speed it is meant to, it is possibly software configuration or alternatively your phone line just doesn't have the bandwidth and does indeed need renewing.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back