Second floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may be talking out of my arse here due to reading this forum too much, but:

Should 2nd floor joists have any kind of mechanical fixing to aid lateral support?

I've built a 2nd floor room up by 3 courses of block and am now ready to sit 8x2 joists on top, I was going to cut blocks and mortar them between each one but wondered if they needed anything else?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The lateral restraint straps would go on the other side of the floor rather than the old I think you're describing... ie 1200mm straps built in to the wall every two metres such that they can overlap three joists. There are some diagrams on it in part-a.

Yes, I know the ones you mean, they go in the opposite direction to the joists and need to fix to the wall then to first 3 or 4 joists.

What I was thinking was along the lines of strapping every 3rd or 4th joist with one of those twisted straps or the angled ones same as you would strap your wall plate. Or something to fix the joists to the wall as they hit it at 90degrees.

The wall is 7.5mtrs long and the room is 2.8mtrs wide. The old joists I pulled out were properly bodged in and were stuck solid so maybe I'm over thinking it.

These are the ones I pulled out:

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

Rough as ****!!

Here are the new joist that I'm talking about:

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

I'm going to block up between them but should I add any other support?

Sponsored Links
What I was thinking was along the lines of strapping every 3rd or 4th joist with one of those twisted straps or the angled ones same as you would strap your wall plate

The chances of your floor flying off are the same as an emu's.

The chances of your floor flying off are the same as an emu's.

I don't think it's a case of the floor flying off, more one of the floor providing lateral restraint to the wall.
IIRC, Part A doesn't require any straps where the joists run into the wall, provided the joists are no more than 1.2m apart, which they obviously are here.

That's right Tony, every time I work near a wall I expect it to fall over. I'll get it blocked up between them ASAP. Thanks :)

I don't think it's a case of the floor flying off, more one of the floor providing lateral restraint to the wall.
IIRC, Part A doesn't require any straps where the joists run into the wall, provided the joists are no more than 1.2m apart, which they obviously are here.

In the OP's previous posts he is aware of lateral restraint, and talks of strapping the joists down "same as you would strap your wall plate" - which is to prevent them flying off, and something he does not need to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back