Second Hand Extension Lead Photos

You might want to do them a favour and put a new plug (with sleeved pins) on it...

Yes, that is an intention of mine.
In fact, the only reason why I haven't done so just yet is due to the present situation of been unable to easily go and purchase the products.
(In fact, I am taking as much advantage of the present time in undertaking repairs/improvements at my parents residence and my own residence, without other responsibilities e.g work commitments).

Is that a new regulation, surely just a recomendation, there are many houses wired pre 16th regs with no Rcd protected sockets for outside use

In the case of my parents home, the CU was installed mid 2000s, however the wiring dates from several different times (although not significantly).

The wiring in the main part of the house dates from around 1982 originally, although has had a few alterations/additions, the bathrrom and utility room, both on the ground floor, dates from 1996 and the workshop/shed circuits (two individual circuits supplying separate workshops/sheds date from the 2000s.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Mind you, in the mid 2000s when an elderly relative was moving home, upon clearance of her house, we were given another 'Home Made' extension lead with a standard 13A plug, orange 2 core flex BUT with a 13A single trailing socket on the end - i.e. a 3 pin socket on the 2 core flex, alright for the double insulated lawnmower etc but...
My dad has such an extension lead made out of the cord off an old garden tool. To his credit he did write "no earth" in marker pen on the socket and I'm pretty sure he only uses it for garden tools which are class 2.

(I am aware items can get damaged and require replacement, although in practice probably a relatively rare occurrence).
I had to replace the 2-pin connector on dad's lawnmower, the flex failed where it entered the switch unit and there was not enough length to re-use the existing 2 pin connector on the mower and I couldn't easilly get a compatible connector so I had to replace both the male and the female (I also had to solder the wires together inside the switch unit because I could not find any way to remove the wires from the switch).

Is that a new regulation, surely just a recomendation, there are many houses wired pre 16th regs with no Rcd protected sockets for outside use
Nothing to do with regs.
If you already have an RCD protected circuit you don’t need another in line. With a fault the house one will still trip along with the local one.

Sponsored Links
Here's one I used today, In fact it had a new socket fitted only a few months ago.
upload_2020-6-21_0-51-26.png

Now I see the pic the cable is getting very shabby...

Last edited:
I have as yet not fitted a metal clad 10 mA RCD socket and the idea was years ago when I got it to use it for garden tools, however the test button must connect line to earth vie a resistor not to neutral, so pressing test button where originally fitted it would trip the 100 mA and 300 mA RCD's feeding it, and the whole idea was should we have an item with earth leakage the 10 mA would trip first and not put out whole work shop, we likely had more trips due to some one pressing test button than we every saved by having discrimination. It was going in the bin when workshop was taken down so I grabbed it, and it has been in my box ever since.

As to special leads, I had a box of adaptor leads used to test with, from BA22d to 13A with croc clip on earth, to 63 amp to 13 amp they were only made so we could simply plug in the loop impedance tester never designed to be used for an appliance. However from time to time one would vanish, and this is the problem some one will at some time use them for other than what you intended, dim ddaear may mean no earth but using google to translate is not best option, there are countless times where it has gone wrong, at the local heritage railway we had to have a second sign made saying North Pole in Welsh as miss spelt.

And the point is we may know what "No Earth" means, but others may not, and just be careful not to let the cable drop on the ground. The general rule is if a socket has an earth or neutral it should be connected, if no neutral use 4 pin socket only and if no earth two pin socket only, labels are use less, consider where I want to charge my car battery, so I have a class II charger and looking at some distance house to car, so multi extension leads, want to keep it dry, so extension lead one goes to my Jazz and under bonnet the second extension lead is connected and runs to Sorento so if it rains no problem, if my wife then decides she want to entertain in the garden she could well simply take the lead from Sorento so if the first lead had no earth, she would have no idea of the danger of using class I appliances even if she was to understand what no earth means.

Labels with class II only, no ground, no earth or any other warning are only any good if the user knows what it means.

Labels with class II only, no ground, no earth or any other warning are only any good if the user knows what it means.
I totally agree with you and that's the reason I have this lead [to remove it from an unknowing commercial environment]. I happened to still have it in the car when I went to cut the grass at my rental property and found the cable reel was very restrictive and hazardous. The lables were added by me as a temporary 'stop gap' and I used it 3 times before replacing the cable. EDIT: If I'm honest prompted by this thread.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back