Second opinion wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an electrician round to quote for the rewiring in my kitchen; I need some sockets moved and a couple adding. I generally happy enough with what I was told and the price seems reasonable for the work suggested. I would however like to check one thing.

Is it true that the sockets will need to be RCD protected?

Due to the age of my CU this one simple fact turns a small job into a much more complicated and expensive one.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sockets likely to supply outdoor appliances require RCD protection. If you do not have RCD protection then you could fit an RCD socket close to any doors/windows but at the end of the day it'll probably be cheaper to fit a new 2-way CU with RCD and switch the circuit over to that.

If your consumer unit is more than 20 years old (it may be brown, have a wooden back, be rated at 60 amps, plug in MCBs), it is always best to have these replaced. A new CU will give you RCD protection to the shower, and any sockets that require it, and peace of mind. I suggest while you have an electrician you're happy with, take the plunge.

And come January with the new regs, ALL sockets will require RCD protection regardless.

I would take the opertunity to have the consumer unit replaced if you can stretch your money belt!

Sponsored Links
I may have to have the work done then.

The electrician is willing for me to do most of the donkey work which should keep the costs down a bit. It's still going to cost a lot more than I was expecting or had budgeted for.

Any suggestions on how to tell the wife that I'm going to spend next years holiday money on having the wiring done?

bremen1874 said:
I may have to have the work done then.

The electrician is willing for me to do most of the donkey work which should keep the costs down a bit. It's still going to cost a lot more than I was expecting or had budgeted for.

Any suggestions on how to tell the wife that I'm going to spend next years holiday money on having the wiring done?

Tell the spark that your wife will pay him in kind. Tell your wife that if she wants a holiday then............. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back