Secondary return with an already pumped system.

God help us :eek:

How many ways do I have to say NO you cannot connect a return pipe from the booster because it's bloody dangerous, and if the vent becomes blocked for any reason it will explode.

Lets assume the storage tank is 3m above the cylinder, that 0.3bar pressure, an 1.5bar pump is 5 times that.

Sponsored Links
Doitall wrote

No you will blow the cylinder up, or should I say you will empty the cylinder in the storage tank

The only idiot on this thread is your self who cannot possibly fathom or understand that a regulated flowrate back to the cylinder CIRCULATES flow through the cylinder back to the inlet of the booster pump.

Doitall wrote

No you will blow the cylinder up, or should I say you will empty the cylinder in the storage tank

The only idiot on this thread is your self who cannot possibly fathom or understand that a regulated flowrate back to the cylinder CIRCULATES flow through the cylinder back to the inlet of the booster pump.

Don't be stupid.

What happens when the solenoid scales up, and the pump keeps going.

Where are the safety devices.

It's ferkin stupid advice like this that adds weight to BigBurners argument.

Sponsored Links
Back to Norcons Lastest Drivel.

So the solenoid opens, the pressure drops, maybe enough to start the pump, the pump is immediately up to pressure and stops because there's not sufficient flow, and this repeats for the next 45 secs on, off,on off, new pump in 12months, on,off, on off. Pathetic for the want of a better word.

Installing pumps is also notifiable, I recommend you run it by a few before you blow the house up.

slightly different approach from me, change the 22mm pipe to 15mm and fit a 2 bar pump, 16m of 15mm pipe thats 0.133lts per metre so you would have to run off just over 2 litres, could you live with that?

It just says an electric hot water heater, no mention of unvented, and even if it was, they are 10 x stronger than a normal copper cylinder.

I don't think I need to answer because if you can't see how then you shouldn't be giving dangerous advice.

Compare an unvented with a normal open vented copper cylinder, then pump 5 x the static head pressure into the copper cylinder, what do you suppose would happen in a fault condition, or some idiot modifies it.

I've seen vent pipes caped, I've seen vent pipes with non return valves, and I've seen frozen vent pipes, and I'm damn sure there's a lot more I haven't seen.

I have never seen an unvented cylinder explode, and I don't think I'm likely too subject to installer error, or user modifications.

However there was an copper cylinder exploded that had been modified and sunk a boat in the English channel.

Can`t be ar*sed going through most of these posts but basically a secondary return won`t work and is pointless on an open vented system. End of. If you don`t know why, and your giving advice, stop.

Can`t be ar*sed going through most of these posts but basically a secondary return won`t work and is pointless on an open vented system. End of. If you don`t know why, and your giving advice, stop.

bamber you should read all of this- it's legendary!! :LOL: :LOL:

the reason for a return is the length of pipework involved

as I have tried to explain,yes the OP can have a neg head pump and a secondary return with a bronze pump so long as 1 the header is the highest point on the system 2. the secondary return is taken off before the neg head pump which needs to be on the final pipes into the bathroom and a single check valve is fitted to the secondary return

no pressure will build up anywhere except between neg head pump and bathroom taps as the cylinder - flow - tee - return - cylinder is just circulating water that is gravity feed from the header.

certain people seem to find this difficult to understand :confused:

certain people seem to find this difficult to understand

Probably because it`s B*ollox. I can`t be bothered explaining the point of a secondary return and it`s use, you have never fitted a heating system employing this, so what`s the point ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back