Secondary return with an already pumped system.

The secondary circuit must have a minimum static head Kevin, and as you and I agree, provided the booster is fed from a dead leg from the secondary circuit, and it meets the minimum head it will work.

Better add the booster pump must be below the flood level, again the greater the static head the better.

Sponsored Links
The system is vented with a tank in the loft.

Domestic situation. probably no need for secondary returns.

You may have fitted secondary returns in large open vented installations, but they were obviously pumped. Put your d*ick back in yer pants, I`m talking about this domestic install.

Norcon – many thanks for your detailed response for a design. I appreciate the time you put into it. I must say that it makes complete good sense to me.

But then again I’m no expert, which is why I was posting.

So, I have to say also …

DoItAll
1) – pumps notifiable – didn’t know that - good to know – I’ll need to check with my water supplier
2) – I don’t think I can use your & kevindgas’s idea, as I would have to site the booster pump at the bathroom. The bathroom is on the same floor as the HW cylinder (all in the loft), and the pump instructions say it’s got to go by the cylinder, and not at the end of the pipework. Header tank is also in the loft, about six feet higher than the cylinder & where the pump’s supposed to go (see earlier posts in this thread)
3) – Norcon’s dangerous idea - thanks for your warnings, & I’ll check it out further before proceeding with it.

Sponsored Links
Norcon – many thanks for your detailed response for a design. I appreciate the time you put into it. I must say that it makes complete good sense to me.

But then again I’m no expert, which is why I was posting.

So, I have to say also …

DoItAll
1) – pumps notifiable – didn’t know that - good to know – I’ll need to check with my water supplier
2) – I don’t think I can use your & kevindgas’s idea, as I would have to site the booster pump at the bathroom. The bathroom is on the same floor as the HW cylinder (all in the loft), and the pump instructions say it’s got to go by the cylinder, and not at the end of the pipework. Header tank is also in the loft, about six feet higher than the cylinder & where the pump’s supposed to go (see earlier posts in this thread)
3) – Norcon’s dangerous idea - thanks for your warnings, & I’ll check it out further before proceeding with it.

To simpify all you need would be to install an unvented cylinder, simple as that. No need to thank me.

As you said BW2 you're no expert, and obviously blind to anyone that is.

As you obviously intend to put your family at risk, I suggest you draw it out and submit it to the water board, the pump manufacturer, the cylinder manufacturer and finally WRAS for approval.

I will say no more on the subject, other than.

You have been warned so it's in your hands

Diynot or whatever his name is has now had the sense to distance himself from advising this OP, let`s see if KevinD has the same sense. You are both liable to lawsuits by your advice. ;) It`s also on record here.

Diynot or whatever his name is has now had the sense to distance himself from advising this OP, let`s see if KevinD has the same sense. You are both liable to lawsuits by your advice. ;) It`s also on record here.

Nothing wrong with my advice Bamber, as I know it works, subject to the minimum static head, which Stuart Turner ask for is 1m.

Nothing wrong with my advice Bamber, as I know it works, subject to the minimum static head, which Stuart Turner ask for is 1m.

Why the Warning. ;)

Why the Warning. ;)

Because he's been advised to connect a return from the pressure side of a booster pump back into a copper cylinder, as a secondary circuit.

Because he's been advised to connect a return from the pressure side of a booster pump back into a copper cylinder, as a secondary circuit

So why the Warning?

Back to Norcons Lastest Drivel.

So the solenoid opens, the pressure drops, maybe enough to start the pump, the pump is immediately up to pressure and stops because there's not sufficient flow, and this repeats for the next 45 secs on, off,on off, new pump in 12months, on,off, on off. Pathetic for the want of a better word.

Installing pumps is also notifiable, I recommend you run it by a few before you blow the house up.

Yes, you are correct Doitall.
Some more drivel for you below. ;)
There's a conflict between acheiving a low flow through the store and avoiding excessive pump cycling.
One destroys stratification and the other can destroy the pump.
Your opinion as we already know is that we have an explosion.
There's two solutions however.
And the clues for one are in my previous posts.
The second one is innovative in my opinion and there is no point in trying too explain.
I might post the schematics up next week some time.

My apologies to the OP. Doitall is correct.
My experience in refrigeration is overlapping with my heating/plumbing installation experience.
Approval for such advice could only be obtained by the designer and I was wrong to follow this through.
My sincere apologies.

Post as many schematics as you like, until the WRAS approve the design, you have a potential dangerous and life threatening installation.

Bamber gaspipe";p="1174546 said:
The system is vented with a tank in the loft.
yes

Domestic situation. probably no need for secondary returns.
funny that as that was what the OP required.

You may have fitted secondary returns in large open vented installations, but they were obviously pumped.
they wouldn't be a secondary RETURN if they weren't pumped!
that is immeterial to the question as the pressure would only be on the short section from the neg pump to the taps and the circulating water would only be on the NON PRESSURE side.

Put your d*ick back in yer pants, I`m talking about this domestic install.

another considered posting then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back