Section of garden wall broken. How to re-attach?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's vaguely how my wall should look:

But it's all broken! :cry:

I have replaced rotted fence posts before, so I am comfortable with preparing a new wooden post of the correct dimensions and securing that in the ground with postmix.

But I am unsure of how to re-secure the end section of wall which has come away. I was thinking of some combination of bonding the wall again at the bottom (with cement or whatever), along with somehow securing the wooden post to the pieces of wall either side.

How to do all of this and with what materials? (n)

More pictures below. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think you'd need to rebuild that bit of wall, rather than try to fix the collapsed portion back.

Why is the post there?

Why is the post there?

I was wondering the same. Presumably only required as somewhere to terminate the iron bar railing shown in the fourth photo. You might be better off forgetting the idea of having a post in the ground: Run the wall right across, then either just bolt a timber in to the back of the wall, or if you're happy with the aesthetics, find a 90 degree cast iron union then run another railing down to meet the wall?

Sponsored Links
When they put in the old fence post , it got wet and expanded and cracked the 3" thick bit of "wall" running behind it.
Option#1 put in fence post wrap it in thin expanded polstyrene, put stainless ties into old bit of wall, plug and screw ties into brick wall and rebuild the wall. Remove polystrene when mortar hard.
Option #2 Replace old bit of wall and put in separate post of bracket to carry railings.
Frank

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm a bit reticent to rebuild the whole of the end section from scratch because (a) it fits aesthetically (same colour mortar etc) with the rest of the wall and (b) I am not skilled enough! Never done bricklaying so this 'crazy' pattern would be in at deep end.

I think I am going to go with something along these lines. Steel ties are a great idea.
Option#1 put in fence post wrap it in thin expanded polstyrene, put stainless ties into old bit of wall, plug and screw ties into brick wall and rebuild the wall. Remove polystrene when mortar hard.

So thanks, Frank!

P.S. the post is there because it was one of a series of (unseen in these pictures) posts along the front of the wall, which I assume held up some sort of wooden railing. Iron bar railing you can see was added much later.

Not resolving the aesthetic fit of mortar colour, I know, but to rebuild the end part of the wall you could use wooden shuttering either side of the wall to maintain the line/plumb of the wall. It might need some pointing after removal of shuttering.
If you were going to try to match the mortar colour, it would probably be worth ascertaining whether it was cement mortar or lime mortar first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back