Securely attaching servo to door without using bolts, screws etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working on a bodge automated door.
This is the equipment and tools I have...
  • A Raspberry Pi (to control the servo, receive commands etc.)
  • A 7V servo motor.
  • A hot glue gun.
  • Some velcro (hook & loop) tape (although it isn't the best).
  • Some wire ties and some stationary string.
  • Some wire and other electrical equipment (everything required to power a Raspberry Pi and a servo).
I cannot put holed in my door as its my parents' house and I don't think they would be too happy about me taking some tools and destroying my door.

My door handle is longer than it is wider and it is in the up position while locked, it then must be turned 90 degrees to the right to unlock the door. I have programmed the servo to do this, but my problem falls in attaching the servo to my door.
My original idea was a triangle-like clamp (2 diagonal pieces of plastic attaching (hot glued) to each side of the servo, but I don't know how I would do that without using screws etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :D
PS: I can't put hot glue on my door.

Sponsored Links
Fix the servo assembly to the handle with a sleeve the fits the handle securely.

Fit a heavy pendulum to the shaft of the servo. WHen the servo shaft tries to rotate the pendulum will keep the shaft stationary and instead the body of the servi will roatae in the opposite direction and the handle will move with it and lock ( or un-lock ) the door.

Alternatively think about fixing a framework with brackets screwed to the top and bottom edges of the door, these edges cannot be seen so the holes will never be noticed when the device is removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back