Securing a telephone cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I have a telephone line running into my house, which runs underground and then pops up and enters the house.

With the increase in home automation products I am much more reliant on my broadband connection. In particular, I am considering purchasing a number of cameras (dropcams) so I can keep an eye on the house when I am away.

Any ideas on how I can secure this wire to prevent it from being cut?

Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies - some good ideas here.

Could a potential burglar still get to my telephone line through here?

Is there anything I can do to protect this as well?

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.

Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself

What about the next covers either side of this one or the ones ........

Get the idea?

Conceal the actual cable and install a dummy one. Connect a looped pair in the dummy to your burglar alarm as a zone. If a burglar cuts the dummy cable then the alarm will sound.

As to the inspection chamber, yes your line could be cut there.

If you are that concerned then use a monitoring service that will detect that the phone line has been cut and then take appropriate actions.

None of this will protect your property from the smash, grab and run burglars. For that you would be better to spend money on physical protection such as secure locks on doors and windows.

steel capping will protect the cable to your house.

as for the inspection cover, leave it alone, it belongs to Bt, has other lines going through it (not just yours) and these things need a gas test before opening and while working on it.

never heard of a burglar cutting the line from the inspection cover (hard to identify which is yours, and if u cut all of them you'll knock others off and attract attention in the street)

........ or DualCom ......... still got signalling if line cut

perhaps his phone line was cut after he posted and is tied to a chair in the basement as we speak

You could always buy a router that has both cable connection and 3G/4G sim card so if your hardwire line goes down it will switch to mobile network but the only problem you will then have is if the burglar takes down the local phone masts so maybe invest in a satellites uplink connection as backup too but then what if the burglar takes down the satellites in space?

Good humour and advice, thanks to all who posted.

I had no prior experience of the BT inspection covers, so that was all good advice. You've also given me some good ideas about the exposed cable - thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back