Securing Aquapanel & Priming WBP

I'm just about to start screwing the wbp down and just thought I'd ask if there's any special screw requirements as I don't want the moisture from the adhesive to corrode the screws and cause the tiles to lift.

Also how far apart do the screws need to be? the joists appear to be at 45cm centres.

Sponsored Links
thought I'd ask if there's any special screw requirements as I don't want the moisture from the adhesive to corrode the screws and cause the tiles to lift.
Don’t worry about it, it’s not a wet room. You’ve got a one off exposure to moisture from the addy & then only to the screw head; deck screws are good enough.

Also how far apart do the screws need to be? the joists appear to be at 45cm centres.
Screw down every 150mm. Don’t forget to seal the back & edges of the WBP & support the board edges down the centre line of a joist; use noggins for any cross board joints but they are best avoided. You don’t need to worry too much about unsupported edges around the perimeter of the room unless they are in a traffic/load area or at the door threshold.

Thanks for the tips Richard, I've just been and got some Bond SBR to prime the underside and edges of the WBP as well as a couple of bags of Single part flex adhesive.

As far as sealing the edges of the aquapanel and the corner joint before I do the final fitting of the shower tray, what's the best way of approaching this?
Is it just a case of using normal scrim tape with some adhesive?
If so, how long will the rest of the adhesive keep in the bag once opened as it may be a couple of weeks before I get around to doing the rest of the tiling.

Sponsored Links
As far as sealing the edges of the aquapanel and the corner joint before I do the final fitting of the shower tray, what's the best way of approaching this?
Is it just a case of using normal scrim tape with some adhesive?
That’s all I do, immediately before I tile the whole area; work the addy well into the tape mesh & avoid tile grout lines coinciding with board joints as far as is possible. You can get “special” & expensive Knauf tape & sealer & some use silicone but you need to be careful not to spread it around too much as not much sticks to silicone including tile adhesive.

If so, how long will the rest of the adhesive keep in the bag once opened as it may be a couple of weeks before I get around to doing the rest of the tiling.
Just close the bag up tight & keep it somewhere dry, it won’t be a problem; shelf life is around 12 months unopened but it won’t “go off” like plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back